dell inspiron 4000 Xircom CBEII-10/100

I found that the xircom_tulip_cb module is needed for my card, as opposed
to tulip_cb, and so added

device "xircom_tulip_cb"
  class "network" module "cb_enabler", "xircom_tulip_cb"

and

card "Xircom CBEII-10/100 CardBus 10/100 Ethernet"
  version "Xircom", "*", "CBEII-10/100"
  bind "xircom_tulip_cb"

to /etc/pcmcia/config.

/var/lib/pcmcia/stab now comes up with

Socket 0: Xircom CBEII-10/100 CardBus 10/100 Ethernet
Socket 1: empty

without being tab separated, and all the other columns are missing -
which means that inserting the card never runs the /etc/pcmcia/network
script (and it would not be called with the right params if it was).

Hence networking doesn't come up automatically via cardmgr when card is
inserted - however I put in the details in /etc/network/interfaces, run
/etc/init.d/networking restart and all is fine.

What did I do wrong with /etc/pcmcia/config?

Pcmcia-cs version 3.1.25-3.
Card detected as 'Xircom Cardbus Adapter (DEC 21143 compatible mode)'.
xircom_tulip_cb compiled as a module.
Debian 2.2r2 mostly unstable.

--
TimC
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~tcon/ugrad.cs.home

mathematician, n.:
        Some one who believes imaginary things appear right before your i's.