Re: Thinkpad video and digital camera issues

> I have a Thinkpad 760 XD, and there's a "video in" port.  I have the
> cable which connects to it and has an S-video and composite input.
> Can this be used under Linux?  If so, how?
>
> Also, I bought an Olympus Camedia D-360L digital camera.  I want to
> upload images into the Thinkpad.  There are two ways: RS-232 or
> SmartMedia.  I tried with several different packages to get the RS-232
> interface to work, and couldn't get any results.  But it works like a
> charm with the Windows software they include, of course.

Check the video4linux section of the kernel config?  (I don't have an
Olympus ... our digital camera writes on a PCMCIA memory card, which works
fine)

> The ADI SmartMedia/PCMCIA card I bought doesn't seem to be recognized
> at all (the computer doesn't even realize it's been plugged in).

It should spot it, but fail to identify it (hibeep, lowboop) if it doesn't
know what it is... a mite odd to not see it at all.

> Should I just take it back for a refund?  What other brands are there
> that you would recommend instead?  Or is there something else I can
> try to make this one work?

Utterly guessing, so if it doesn't work, oh well.

I've been told by a friend with a laptop that has a real SmartMedia port,
that smartmedia cards are spotted easily as USB devices when he plugs them
in.  So, you might need USB support to spot them ... which doesn't come in
the "stock" kernels, even though the code's in there for 2.2.18.

It does however seem logical if the PCMCIA interface card isn't being
spotted, that its further smartmedia item wouldn't be spotted either :(
As for the PCMCIA card being recognized, you may want to rebuild card
services ... if you've decided to go with 2.4, you *definitely* want to try
using the external card services before giving up on a card.

(PCMCIA in 2.4.x is in the same state that X 4 is ... the things it supports
seem to behave sweeter, but, it doesn't support everything yet, by a long
shot.)

Sourceforge reports the latest external pcmcia-cs package at 3.1.25, posted
March 8.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...