Re: Please define SIOCADDRT

> I'm an novice trying to learn Linux. I guess I'm at a loss I have Debian
> 2.1 kernal 2.2.12. Stephane are you saying I should not be concerned with
> this error.  I'm an novice trying to learn Linux.

SIOCADDRT =
	SIOC (i forget exacxtly, but tcp/ip stack stuff)
	ADD RT  (add route)

This is a direct result of attempting to add a route for the localhost
network when it already has a route established.  Such as, being declared
both inside the kernel and in the network or networking init.d scripts :(

Solution, kinda: take the extra out.  Why 'kinda'?  Because if you
-sometimes- use the kernel that needs it, the reverse symptom is much more
annoying:  a nasty tendency for the stack to flood up and claim "neighbor
table overflow" and misbehave on active netlinks such as samba shares, nfs,
ssh, etc.  (The table is the ARP table, the neighbors are the MAC addresses
of nearby ethernet cards on your segment)

So, if you like to mix and match kernels, yes, it's better to ignore this.
It's perfectly safe to do so if you feel uncomfortable about tweaking your
network startup script, too.

  Hope that helped!  -*-  Heather Stern  -*-  star@starshine.org