Re: how to revoke dselect messed up?

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Benjamin F. Zhou wrote:

> I installed potato on my notebook. the installation facility looks
> really nice and easy to use.
> But at first, I could not check the boxes I prefered and exited. I don't
> know how to get back. So I entered Dselect and did a lot of +/-, which
> messed up the selection. I was warned that if I proceed with install, I
> may ruin my installation.

This is part of the way packages install safely on your machine.  Although
you may want one package the package its-self may need other packages to
operate correctly.  Theres three levels of package requirement, "depends
upon", "suggested", "recommended".  The first one *has* to be met, the
other two only may activate other options and install similar packages you
may find useful.  However dselect seems to insist that you have to install
the "suggested" and "recommended" packages although you may not want
them.  If you are sure all the messages you get are recommend/suggested
errors then just press <shift>-Q and proceed with an install.

> Is there a way to revoke what I have done there and restore the default
> selection?

Theres not much in the way of restoring the default also even if there was
it probably wouldn't be much use.  Just start at the begining of dselect
and work your way through ALL the packages selecting the ones you want and
deselecting the ones you don't.  Make sure you meet the dependencies and
then install.

> BTW, what is the minimum set I must install from base to run X86 ?

install xfree86-common and then a xserver suitable for your graphics card
(usually xserver-svga however not all the time is this true).  Throw in
also xfonts-75dpi and xf86config and I think thats all you need.  Dselect
will tell you if you need anything else.  You then need to configure x
with 'xf86config' and then run it with 'startx'.  May be worth installing
Login.app so when you boot up you go straight into X however you still
have your normal selection of virtual consoles <Ctrl>-<Alt>-F1 etc

Alex

--
**       ((__))  Alexander "Jim diGriz" "Hubenko" Clouter