Re: Debian Slink on Toshiba 2100CDS X-Screen update

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 03:45:19AM +0000, Ruben Leote Mendes wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 08:47:21AM +0100, Ries van Twisk wrote:
> > I'm now using the SVGA server, but when I move a window
> > (afterstep window manager) I see copy's of that one all over me screen
> > intill I release the moved window.

I have the very same problem with my Satellite 2540CDS; it's strange,
but looking for help at "Linux on Laptops" I only found two guys with
this problem (and there are many Toshiba laptops pages!), but no
explication or complete solution for this.

I don't know if this is a problem with the video chipset (S3 Virge MX)
because IIRC one laptop had another one; anyway, I only see reports on
laptops with STN displays, not for TFT.

> I had the same problem. I read somewhere to add Option "noaccel" in the
> Section "Device" of XF86Config.
> I tried it and it is much better now but probably slower.

This was my first solution; and well, it work, but slowly (you know).
One day I found a similar problem at "RedHat Linux on a Toshiba 220"
(you can find this page in Linux on Laptops), with this solution:

%   Once I got 16 and 24 bpp modes working, I was getting some nasty
%   visual jittering whenever I moved a window. Don't panic. All you
%   have to do is switch the display output (using Fn-F5). It doesn't
%   seem to matter whether you're using Display only or Display plus
%   Monitor (didn't have a monitor to check Monitor Only) - you just
%   need to cycle through the options once and the jittering goes away.
%   This also seems to brighten the screen a lot. Doesn't seem necessary
%   in 8 bpp mode.

With the S3 Virge MX you need a second step; this is from the SVGA
documentation (README.S3V):

%   Whenever you switch output sources with Fn-F5 or similar, the
%   Xserver won't get informed and pixel clock and other settings are
%   wrong.  Because of this you have to switch modes _after_ switch
%   output sources!  Then the server will check which outputs are active
%   and select the correct clocks etc.  So the recommended key sequence
%   to switch output is
%
%       Fn-F5  Ctrl-Alt-Plus  Ctrl-Alt-Minus
%
%   and everything should be ok..
%
%   on the Toshiba keypad you can first hold down Ctrl-Alt, then press
%   `Fn' additionally before pressing Plus/Minus too to avoid to
%   explicitly enable/disable the numeric keypad for mode switching.

And for this to work, you need to define at less two modes for the
display depth you are using (if you have only 800x600 you can't switch
modes).

So, in short:
- define two modes for the display depth in XF86Config.
- when you start X, switch output sources with Fn-F5 and then
- resyncronize the screen switching modes; you need to do this also when
  you resume from an "apm -s".
- when you exit X, you will need to switch output sources with Fn-F5 (scrolling
  makes random horizontal lines if you don't do it).

Yes, it's an ugly workaround, but it work for me.

--
David