Re: 2.2 kernel "flavors" needed for i386 -- any list?

Adam Di Carlo scripsit:
[...]
|I dunno.  Floppy disk loads the root filesystem as a ramdisk.  That's
|the main difference..

Could it possibly remotely be linked to the ramdisk and the VGA BIOS
cached in RAM? I cannot disable it on these machines but that is the
only thing which is left as "weird"!

|I CC'd debian-laptop as well.  It seems to me that there's a good
|chance that laptop users could benfit from a special laptop "flavor"
|kernel.  Ideally, it could boot with PCMCIA support, but I don't
|really see that as a reality until 2.4.x, when PCMCIA is shipping with
|the kernel.  Maybe it's possible if you guys get tricky.  We could
|certainly try to have a special root disk with cardmanager support.

Just to make things clear for the debian-laptop people: these i486
boxes are Dell boxes not laptops.  I do have an i486 laptop but that
one boots happily (lucky me!) :-)

Happy to test anything you want to get these i486s running as it is
rather painful to have to open up a Pentium to install and then stick
the disks back...

Arrigo

--
Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo@nh.netherhall.org.uk>