RE: pcmcia ethernet cards

If I were you I would get an old 486 ( http://www.retrobox.com for as
little as $35 ) or PentiumI and put 95 on it and let your provider
set up the dsl to it.  This is what I did before Bellsouth came to
set up mine.  Then I would create an LRP boot floppy and make the box
into a linux-router.  The Linux Router Project is based on Debian see
:

http://www.linuxrouter.org

and

http://lrp.c0wz.com .

The latter has howto's about setting up a linux-router for cable
modems and xDSL.  You'll also need a hub, but they can be had cheaply
as well, Netgear 4-port 34.99 in latest Datacom Warehouse (
http://www.warehouse.com ).  Then you can plug your laptops into the
hub and have access to the xDSL line through the router.  This will
also let you set up a firewall to protect your other machines.  If
the router gets cracked, put your LRP boot floppy back in and reboot.
 LRP runs in ram so nothing a cracker does to the router would be
permanent.  You might also want to take a look at coyote linux which
is based on LRP at

http://www.vortech.net/coyote/

As far as the pcmcia card, I just ordered a linksys pcmcia card from
techonweb ( http://www.techonweb.com ) for $34.  Linksys boxes say
they work with linux, and friend of mine says they work great.  I've
got all 3com stuff right now.  The card isn't listed on the techonweb
site, but I found it via

http://www.pricewatch.com

and made my purchase via their 800 number.  And no, I don't work for
any of these folks, not even any commissions.

Charles H. Baker
Manager Student Microcomputer Labs
Charles-Baker@utc.edu
http://www.utc.edu/StudentMicroLabs/
Are you using PGP? Why not? PGP for a more secure 'Net.