Re: Radeon Mobility LY supported by Debian?

Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:41:12 -0400, Dutch a écrit :

> OK - Ive been struggling wiht gettin X to work on my new Dell Inspiron
> 4100 since January. It has the infamous ATI Radeon card.
>
> I read through linux on laptops, copied over different xconfig files
> and still nothing.
>
> Upgraded kernels, X, whatever it took or thought to try.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Another question whihc has COMPLETELY eluded every linux user/expert
> Ive asked: Where does the database/list of video cards that are
> availibe live - you know, when you run xf86config, eventually it asks
> if you would like to see a list of video cards?
>
> I have gone to xfree86.org and installed the latest and Radeon still
> does NOT appear in that list.  then I thought it was the kernel
> (Radeon does appear there cureing make menuconfig) but has no effect
> onthe xf86config - and I was told that was onky for 3D support by the
> kernel.

With XFree 4.2 :
Choose any ati card, then edit XF86Config and replace "ati" by "radeon".
The driver will automatically detect your card.

> I dont care about 3D or anything fancy. I just want to run windowmaker
> and use the bloody thing!

Use the vesa driver then and you won't have to install XFree86 4.2.
(Do as above : select any card and replace the driver by "vesa".)

|__ http://www.info.unicaen.fr/~sauvage _______| _____`|'___WW¯WW_____][__