Re: Debian PC Requirements

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, James Hirschorn wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 05:41:10PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Nobody, but nobody, needs 1GB for a swap :-) (somebody will now tell
>> me how they DO :-) )
>>

> What? I found that one 2GB swap partition was not enough. After
> letting a KDE session run for a couple of days, with 8 desktops and
> numerous apps, 2GB swap easily gets used up. However, as soon as I log
> out of the session most of the swap memory is freed. Is this not
> normal behaviour?

No, it's not. :)

I have trouble, in fact, imagining the set of desktop programs that
would manage to eat 2GB of space, even if they leaked awfully fast.

Seriously, though, there is something pathological in that set of
applications.

At least, unless you mention now that a couple of those applications are
non-linear video editing tools with large videos. ;)

        Daniel

--
Books won't stay banned. They won't burn. Ideas won't go to jail. In the
long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost.