Re: Mouse and trackpad problems

Riccardo Gusso:
>>> and gpm is configured as '-m /dev/psaux -t autops2 -Rms3'.
>>> Before I had installed another distro, RH 7.1, and I had no problems with
>>> trackpad. Could you give me some suggestions on how to configure XF86Config
>>> and/or gpm?

Martin Norland:
>> gpm and XFree rarely can coexist together - gpm binds to the mouse device,
>> and the mouse doesn't like multiple things trying to bind to it.

I've found systems (not just laptops) at both extremes - that either refused
to behave in X while gpm was running (repeating or not) - or that had an
X mouse that was basically wigged out until smoothed over with a repeated
mouse from gpm.  I recommend raw by the way.  Anything else and there's a
timing delay that's almost always noticeable to those sensitive about hiccupy
mice.  And since you can't scrub the mouse ball on a trackpad, it's rather
annoying :(

>> If you
>> have gpm working fully, I suggest having your XFree86 config read from
>> /dev/gpmdata (as ps/2 as you already have) and give that a go.

This is the part why I had to step in.  His command -Rms3 says the repeated
version is normal-microsoft protocol.  Since quite frankly X is happier with
PS/2 protocol anyway that's rather unwise.  It should be -Rraw or -Rps2.

>> failing
>> that - your best bet is to stop gpm in your .xinitrc and start it after
>> your X session exits (and you might be able to manually start and stop it
>> when going to virtual consoles, don't know).

*Some* varieties of gpm are smart enough to turn off when not at text console.
Debian's happens to be one, I know 'cuz my preferred laptop does that.  It's
a very good feature triggered by not having the -R option in there at all,
or "repeat none" if you're going through the configurators in any distro.

>> All in all, I gave up on it - and don't even bother running gpm (unless
>> for some reason I *really really* need to... I can always fire up some
>> xterms normally.

Debian has a pleasantly wide variety of monochrome fonts; if you want to go
the completely GUI route, we can definitely help you get your Xterms sized
comfortably.  I like neep :)

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...