problems with pcmcia cardmgr

I'm trying to set up pcmcia support on a debian potato sytem. When you start up the init script "pcmcia start" it seems to start, but no beeps. a quick check of "pcmcia status" reveals that it's stopped. I looked in the logs (/var/log/daemon.log) and this is the message I found

cardmgr[15935]: starting, version is 3.1.22
cardmgr[15935]: could not open 'config: no such file or directory
cardmgr[15935]: exiting

what is this file config that it's trying to install. I installed all the deb packages needed - pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-modules-.2.2.19.

anyone have any ideas?

sam