PCMCIA network problems at startup

Running Debian Woody on a Gateway Solo 9100 laptop, with an Intel
Pro/100 CardBus II (eepro100_cb.o driver) network card, pulling a DHCP
address using dhclient.

When I boot the laptop, everything appears to get recognized correctly,
but I am unable to access the network.  'ifconfig' shows eth0 existing
with an address, but no traffic will pass.

However, I can log in and do a 'ifdown eth0' and then 'ifup eth0', and
suddenly everything will be working properly.  I can also start the
laptop without the card, and then add it later - it comes up fine at
that point.

Any ideas where to look?  It's running my custom Kernel 2.4.18, plus
latest PCMCIA modules.  This problem also occurred using original Debian
bf2.4 kernel.

/etc/pcmcia/network.opts is unchanged from original.

/etc/network/interfaces shows 'iface eth0 inet dhcp', which was added by
the installation program.

/var/log/syslog shows that 'dhclient' is being run on bootup.  It says
the following:

: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
: receive_packet failed on eth0: Network is down
: DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.254
: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
: DHCPACK from 192.168.1.254
: bound to 192.168.1.232 -- renewal in 900 seconds

Is that 'receive_packet' failure possibly a problem?

Any other ideas?

--Josh