Re: Plural forms for Kannada

Hi Bruno,

In Kannada, we have only two plural forms just like English - Singular and Plural.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Shankar

On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 at 22:24, Bruno Haible <bruno@clisp.org> wrote:
Hi, dear Kannada translators,

I am the GNU gettext maintainer, and I would like to support correct plural
forms also for Kannada in the GNU gettext tools, out of the box, and improve
the GNU gettext documentation.

You certainly know about the "plural forms", as documented here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Plural-forms.html

I have gotten different data about Kannada, thus my question.

* The page https://l10n.gnome.org/teams/kn/ suggests the formula
  nplurals=2; plural=(n != 1);

* But CLDR suggests the formula
  nplurals=2; plural=(n > 1);

Which one is correct? That is, in sentences with plurals,
- does a sentence with the number 0 look like the sentence with any
  number > 1,
- or does a sentence with the number 0 look like the sentence with the
  number 1 ?

If you are not sure: There are certainly books about the grammar of
your language, that describe this detail.

Best regards,

                       Bruno