Re: More info about #228486 / #235759

[...]
> My concern is to push what German
> translators decided, I do not care whether this is in favor of
> English quotes or guillemots.

I'd like to add, that the decision taken by the German tranlation team
is a pure consensus. It is not based on a majority vote. I've hardly
seen any "discussion" that has been that clear. And moreover we are the
ones being affected by that transliteration.

> > The upstream lead developer is german, he wrote the original
> > transliteration,
>
> No, he gets it from some specs (I do not remember exactly, maybe in
> Unicode) which give transliteration for some symbols.  But these
> rules are given in general case, and are superseded by national rules
> when they are defined.

As stated before [1], one source might be
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-CSS21-20040225/generate.html
As was said before [1], it is a general case rule.

Jens

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=235759&msg=24