Re: Question for proper French strings in clock applet

Le 2008-01-24 06:08:59 +0100, Christian Perrier écrivait :
> Quoting Jean-Philippe Guérard (jean-philippe.guerard@tigreraye.org):
>
> > > While the 1st files indeed seems to match the current fr_FR locale, the
> > > 2nd seems much more natural for a French speaker. I think selecting the
> > > "fr2" file would be a much better choice.
> >
> > In fact, the French locale seems to use "Jun", "Jui":
> >
> > abmon   "jan";"fév";/
> >         "mar";"avr";/
> >         "mai";"jun";/
> >         "jui";"aoû";/
>

> Correct. So, indeed, none of the files is correct..:)
>
> I still prefer fr1 because it sticks with the locale which is
> technically easier to defend while "more natural for a French speaker"
> is certainly debatable, particularly because 4-letter abbreviations
> are a deviation from an accepted standard about what a short name is
> (3-letters...in locales).

As far as I understand, the 3-letters abbreviations of the locales makes
sense for a text-oriented display where you have to stick to a fixed
number of letters.

As far as you are in a graphical display and that both 3-letters or
4-letters are possible, I think the second alternative should be
prefered, as it matches the usual French abbreviation of these months.

See also: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mois

HTH.

Best Regards.

--