Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:00:41 -0500
From: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
To: Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>,
	debian-l10n-english@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Which/What?

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 12:04:53AM -0400, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
> Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> > This sounds strange to me and I would rather tend to write "WHICH
> > machines should be allowed to use Bitlbee ?".
>
> "Which" (in the sense of lequel/laquelle/etc. if I remember my
> high-school French properly ;-) ) sounds somewhat better to my native
> ear, but I don't think I'd go so far as to count "what" as actually
> incorrect.

I concur that "which" is preferable in this context.  You would often
hear "what" in this same context in conversational speech, however.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The greatest productive force is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      human selfishness.

----- End forwarded message -----