Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 14:27, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 12:07:29PM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > Your engagement for the quality of your package is really great. Only, I
> > think that you are not responsible of the translation. I know that there
> > is a lack in debian framework concerning this point, but it really should
> > be so ('cause maintainer cannot be responsible for translations they do
> > not understand. How do you handle tranlations in russian, japaneese and
> > bokmal?).
>
> This is a fundamental question for which there definitely isn't
> consensus, and it is a fundamental polity (governance) issue.

Yes, it is also linked with the problem of Translators' status in Debian.

The Constitution says :

"Developers are volunteers who agree to further the aims of the Project
insofar as they participate in it, and who maintain package(s) for the
Project or do other work which the Project Leader's Delegate(s) consider
worthwhile."

So if a Delegate consider Translators' work worthwile or if Translators
maintain packages, they should be given the Developer status (if they follow
the same kind of new maintainer process of course) and then be responsible
for their work as well as Developers.

> One is that the linguistic teams have full and ultimate responsibility
> over the translations, and there is no recourse or appeal if the
> maintainer doesn't like what they have done.

There can be some recourse or appeal (to some committee or to the Project
Leader) and the translator teams still maintain full and ultimate
responsibility as well as Developers do. Don't give us false alternatives.

> Another position is that the maintainer is ultimately responsible; he
> or she may delegate responsibility to helpers, just as the Debian
> Leader may delegate certain responsibilities to subordinates.

This would clearly create 2 class of citizens within Debian or at least
another hierachical level.

I wont go further discussing your message. The problem exists and has been
ignored for a (too) long time. And my preference is clear.

Regards anyway,
Christian Couder (translator of Debian web pages since 1999 and still not
Developer, so with no vote).