Re: Review request for apt-listbugs template po file

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:29:45 +0100 Justin B Rye wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, Francesco Poli wrote:
>
> (Sorry, for some reason this never reached me, so I've had to copy
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-english/2012/07/msg00057.html)

(That's awkward, since you are indeed subscribed to the list, I suppose!
I am the one who's not subscribed, not you...)

> > When I said "template po file", I was referring to the .pot file which
> > is generated by xgettext - as described in
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/gettext.html#Template
> > Maybe it's not the correct name for the file.
>
> Ah!  It probably is - it's just that I know little of gettext (here on
> d-l-e I'm mostly dealing with the input to that i18n process), and
> the main things we do reviews of are debconf "debian/template" files.

Ah, OK!
I was talking about a po template file for the i18n of a program, while
you thought I were talking about a debconf templates file...

I think this clarifies the misunderstanding.

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Surely there are only a limited number of directions for versions to
> >> change in, and if it isn't up or down you'd have to call it impossible?
> >> Maybe s/unknown/unexpected/?
[...]
> > I did  s/unknown/invalid/
> > Do you agree?
>
> It'll have to do, but I think the terminology is potentially
> confusing; "=" isn't a "direction of version change", and if the
> string it sees is ">>", that isn't an invalid "direction" either.
> I suppose ideally I would have hoped for something like
>  "E: apt Pre-Install-Pkgs version comparison operator '%s' is invalid.\n"

Well, it's called "direction of version change" in the documentation
proposed for this protocol (documentation that should be added to the
apt.conf(5) man page, hopefully without too much further delay...):
http://bugs.debian.org/627188#68

Hence, I would like to use the term "direction of version change".

Moreover, I acknowledge that specifying the offending field value could
make for a potentially more useful error message, but I would like to
avoid introducing too many changes into the code during the wheezy
freeze, or I'll have a very hard time in asking the release team to
grant a freeze exception...

[...]
> [...]
> >>   "W: cannot open /dev/tty - running inside su -c \"command\"? Switching to "
> >>   "non-interactive failure mode (see /usr/share/doc/apt-listbugs/README.gz)"
> >
> > I like it, thanks!
>
> Ooooops, mind the typo: README^.Debian^.gz!

Yes, I had noticed it: I didn't propagate it into the code!
Thanks anyway for pointing it out.

> [...]
> > And I changed "make <package> pinned" into "pin <package>".
> > Do you agree?
>
> Yes, all the rest of this looks good.

Thanks a lot for confirming!

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!