Re: [ITR] templates://apt-cacher-ng/{apt-cacher-ng.templates}

#include <hallo.h>
* Jonathan Wiltshire [Wed, Jul 08 2009, 09:49:21AM]:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:14:53AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> >
> > I am sorry, I have defacto blocked his/your work by inactivity. You will get
> > a (hopefully final) review draft from me in few days.
>
> That's ok; it was at the back of my mind to come back to, but I didn't
> want to hassle you - you sounded busy :)

It's not, I like to be reminded sometimes ;-)

Ok, I suggest the following versions of the files. There were some
conflicting opinions in the previous discussion but I hope to have found
the best compromise between clarity and verbosity. If you agree, I would
like to release the new package version RSN.

Template: apt-cacher-ng/gentargetmode
Type: select
_Choices: Setup once, Setup now and update later, No automated setup
_Default: Setup once
 Apt-cacher-ng can request packages from a mirror of your choosing, instead of
 the one requested by the client. One possible use of this feature is quick
 changing of the real download mirror for all users without modifying every
 single client system. To configure it, sets of source mirrors need to be
 configured for various distributions.
 .
 During the package installation, this sets can be prepared based on the
 current state of /etc/apt/sources.list. Optionally, this process can be
 repeated on every package update (modifying configuration files later).
 .
 NOTE: selecting "No automated setup" can leave previously created mirror
 configuration behind, which needs to be updated by cache administrator manually.

---

 Apt-Cacher NG is yet another implementation of a HTTP proxy for
 software packages, primarily targeted at Debian/Ubuntu packages but
 may also be used with others types.
 .
 It follows similar principles as other package caching proxies (Apt-Cacher,
 Apt-Proxy, Approx): a central machine presents a special HTTP
 proxy for the local network, and clients configure their APT setup
 to download through it. Apt-Cacher keeps a copy of all useful data
 that has been passed through it and when a similar request appears,
 the old copy of the data is delivered without redownloading it from
 the distribution mirrors.
 .
 Apt-Cacher NG was developed as a redesign of Apt-Cacher with focus on
 maximizing throughput with low requirements on system resources and external
 packages.

Regards,
Eduard.