Re: [ITR] templates://gpsd/{gpsd.templates}

Justin B Rye wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>> Template: gpsd/start_daemon
>> Type: boolean
>> Default: false
>>  Necessary for USB autodetection, but it also might be appropriate if the
>>  GPS receiver is permanently attached to this computer. Alternatively it
>>  can be started by running gpsd(8) manually.
>
> The long description starts half-way through a sentence, so this
> needs a bit of reformatting, but I'm not sure about the content.
> Does this also control whether it's started right now, on install?

Yes, as usual the dameon is started after install.

> Best guess suggestion:

>    If you enable this option, gpsd will be started automatically. If not,
>    it will need to be run manually, and will not be capable of USB
>    autodetection.
>
> But I'd also like to know _why_ autostarting is "necessary for USB
> autodetection".

The udev hook script connects to gpsd via a socket provided by a running gpsd
and tells the dameon that there is a new device to take care of. It also
notifies the daemon when the device was removed.

> If I ran "sudo /etc/init.d/gpsd start" manually
> just before plugging the device in, what exactly would go wrong?

It won't start, as the init script reads /etc/defaults/gpsd, which is created
from the debconf questions. You could run gpsd -F /var/run/gpsd.sock manually.
The usual way is just to start gpsd at boot and only to disabl it if you really
need to.

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                             Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79