Re: "metapackage", "meta package" or "meta-package"

Frank S. Thomas wrote:
> What do you consider the correct spelling of metapackage/meta
> package/meta-package. There seems to be some disagreement between
> maintainers:
>
> $ grep-available -FDescription -c "metapackage"
> 105
> $ grep-available -FDescription -c "meta package"
> 53
> $ grep-available -FDescription -c "meta-package"
> 28

Since it's unlikely to get into dictionaries, the only guide to
what's "correct" is the majority opinion: "metapackage".

Of course, I say that because I agree with the consensus here, but I
can also offer a supporting argument if you'd prefer.

 * Most coinages in English with "meta" seem to be written solid:
	"metadata", "metafiction", "metamathematics", and so on.
 * "Meta-" also occurs, sometimes to avoid an awkward string of
	vowel letters ("meta-argument"), sometimes as IUPAC-standard
	chemical terminology ("meta-tyrosine").
 * "Meta" as a freestanding word can be used as an adjective, with a
	slightly different sense ("this conversation is far too
	meta"), so that's worth avoiding.