Re: b-f one-liner needs translating

Hello,

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 08:23:27AM -0800, David Kimdon wrote:
> While we're at it we may want to take a look at the boot-floppies po
> files.  Some translations are complete and up to date while others
> could use some updates.

While we enter this l10n chapter, I'd like to discuss about the default
language list for 1.44 floppies. Some of you have heard my reasoning on
IRC the other day, but the correct place to discuss it was here.

In short, so many people are asking me to at least try to get Catalan in
the default list... We know that the current way of choosing these
languages is flawed: it relies on LinuxCounter stats, which are ordered
by countries. Some languages in boot-floppies don't have just a country.
Others have more than one. For example, when counting French users, do
you count France + Canada? Or do you count all the Spanish-speaking
users in South America when counting Spanish?
In our case, Catalan, it's much worse, as basing on LinuxCounter, there
aren't Catalan-speaking GNU/Linux users in the world. Not true :)
There are many, and at least two commercial distributions have Catalan
support (Mandrake & SuSE, iirc), and thus, are the most extended
distributions in the Catalan-speaking regions.

There are over 10 million Catalan speakers in the world, distributed in
France, Spain and Andorra (and Italy, but that's like a few thousands),
so I guess it's a number of potential users that should be considered.

More importantly, the Catalan support in Woody is near 100% complete.
There's an active debian-l10n-catalan team working on other areas
besides bf's (webpages, templates, debian-specific apps) too, which has
provided Catalan support for debconf, dpkg, etc.

In short, what I (and many others in the team) would like is to see if
the selection of languages can be done basing more on the completeness
of the install support and not some flawed stats in a webpage.

Comments welcome,
Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es || Rediscovering Freedom,
   aka Oskuro in    || jordi@sindominio.net      || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E