Re: Re: Problems trying to recompile the Linux Kernel 64 bits on Knoppix 6.7

Hi Ming-Ching Tiew,
Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response, I have been traveling last week.
I already use successfully the 2.6.39 patch on Knoopix 6.7 for the VMware tools (Knoppix inside a vm)
but the 2.6.39 patch to install VMware workstation inside a Knoppix 6.7 host does not work
on my Sandy Bridge 2600K system (even though it works just fine on previous Intel processors)
Best Regards,
Gilles

--- On Tue, 8/23/11, Gilles van Ruymbeke <ruymbeke@gmail.com> wrote:

>It seems that I have another problem now with vmware workstation not supporting
>
>the new Intel Sandy Bridge 2600k processor, but this is a different topic...

If you look hard enough someone has already posted a patch for it. I am currently running vmplayer 3.1.4 on Linux 3.0.2 kernel. :) When vmplayer starts up, it will warn that the kernel is too new. But I haven't encounter any problem with it.

> Other question: if I recompile the kernel what about virtualbox ? (I did not use it yet)
> Did you patch the kernel make so it will recompile /usr/src/virtualbox-4.0.10 as well ?

Not much of a point compiling the modules for virtualbox on 64 bit OS. The 32bit version of virtualbox won't run on 64bit kernel ( unlike vmware ). You will have to setup a jail for a true 64bit libraries/supporting apps to run 64 bit virtualbox on 64bit kernel. The work and effort is a lot. In the end, better install it on a full 64 bit OS.