Re: Knoppix scripts without packages

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Klaus Knopper
<debian-knoppix@knopper.net> wrote:
>> > /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
>> > /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx
>> > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45knoppix
>> >
>> > are not packaged, in order to avoid automatic upgrades and dependency
>> > problems with the Debian standard system.

When Debian switched to dependency based boot, it really hit me
(Finnix) hard and made it a lot harder to manage.  At that point I
forked Debian's sysv-rc and modified it to run under /etc/finnix
instead of /etc.  So all Finnix-specific rc scripts and the rc system
are in /etc/finnix/init.d/ with links in /etc/finnix/rc*.d/, and
packaged in the finnix-scripts (available on packages.finnix.org), and
don't interfere with the Debian rc system.  I have this in
/etc/inittab:

l0:0:wait:/etc/finnix/init.d/finnix-halt
l1:1:wait:/etc/finnix/init.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/finnix/init.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/finnix/init.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/finnix/init.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/finnix/init.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/finnix/init.d/finnix-reboot

That way, /etc/rc*.d/ remains fully populated by Debian's systems, but
does not impact Finnix booting.  That may be an option for Knoppix in
the future.

(FYI to others on the list: Finnix is not a remaster/fork of Knoppix,
but does includes some code/structure that was forked from Klaus' code
many years ago, so many of the concepts are similar.)