Re: Persistent Storage

Hello JD,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:12:20AM -0800, JD wrote:
> Dear All,
> How do I set up persistent storage after flashing knoppix to USB
> flash drive?
> I would like changes I make in /etc and in home directory of Knoppix to be
> permanent. How do I accomplish this?

Usually, this will happen automatically if you boot from a flashdisk
that you have created with the "flash-knoppix" utility (Preferences
Menu). The initial boot script checks if you have at least 200MB of free
space on your flash drive, though, and FAT32 does not allow you to
create files larger than 4GB. So, you have a range between 200MB and 4GB
for your persistent home.

If there is less than 200MB free, then you will not even see the
question, but you can create the overlay manually:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img bs=1024k count=100
mke2fs -m 0 -F /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img

The overlay file will be mounted on next start. But 100MB (as in this
example) is really not much, it merely lasts for one "aptitude update".

Regards
-Klaus