Re: Patch for knoppix-halt

> How did you transfer Knoppix to the flash drive? Did you just move the
> iso image there or did you do a "hard drive" kind of install?

Knoppix has its own mkbootdev script to do that. But I did not like it very
much. It was clumsy and not user-friendly enough for my target group.
I wrote a small program that is (hopefully) much nicer. You can download it
from the following URL: http://www.imedias.ch/dateien/KNX2USB_full.jar
It is an "full" JAR file, containing both the executable program and the
source code.
Just boot Knoppix and execute the attached knx2usb.sh script. It will set up
all the necessary pieces and start the program.

> How big a flash drive did you use?

My customized Knoppix is a little bit smaller than the original. You can
download the latest version from here: http://www.imedias.ch/dateien/
The image is the 3GB ISO file...
Because of the smaller size I usually use a 4GB USB flash drives. But larger
drives are strongly recommended.

> Finally, how do you boot it? From bios? From Lilo somewhere? Other?

If the BIOS supports booting from USB flash drive, I just reconfigure the BIOS
to do that. On older machines and on Intel Macs (yes, it works on Intel
Macs!) I insert both the DVD and the USB flash drive while booting. I patched
the minirt so that when the system boots from DVD it first searches for a
Knoppix flash drive and (if found) continues booting from flash.

Please tell me, if anybody is interested in this patch. I will send it to the
list then.

Greetings

Ronny