Re: Knoppix 5.1 Mini-Announcement

Le 15 Décembre 2006 18:36, Jody a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Gilles Pelletier a écrit :
> [...]
>
> > An installer is certainly a nice feature but, if i remember well,
> > the installer has been years in development since Christian Perle
> > gave it a try. Then, there was the reworked installer from Fabian
> > Franz. Then. if I'm not mistaken, Kanotix's installer was
> > borrowed. Then, I don't know.
> >
> > And it still doesn't work except occasionnaly,
>
> knoppix-installer allowed and allows many people puting a
> Debian-system on a hard drive.

I'm quite aware of this and it is indeed a very valuable tool for
Linux promotion, but Klaus and Martin, and a lot of others, I
suppose, put quite a bit of work in the making of Knoppix. So, sure,
it would be nice to have an install script that works well. It would
be nice to have scripts to install mplayer, etc.

But who's going to get the job done? Knoppix doesn't have the
ressources of Red Hat or Novell... and both of these distros don't
offer an install CD. It used to be that Kanotix started where Knoppix
left. How it really worked, I'm not sure.

Can writing the install program from scratch be achieved in one week?
If so, I suppose it would be a good idea to wait one more week. If
not, maybe it would be better to leave other distros start where
Knoppix left or leave the installation program for another release if
nobody does the job properly.

There are only 24 hours in an earth day, it just won't stretch, and my
feeling is many developers want to take larger gulps than they can
handle. There is a need to reorganize. Otherwise projects get late to
the point where you wonder if they'll ever be released.

No offense to anybody, I hope. This is only my POV.