RE: gnome

You must have things arranged differently from my
system. At the stage you suggested below, command
#init 5
has no result (init5 the same), while
#startx
loads kde without any prompt for user. I did that
check because I have a new installation of debian i386
etch with 17-2 linux kernel and no nvidia driver,
which works nicely with gnome.

As a check during the knoppix pivot process, from the
beginning:

#mkdir /mnt/new_root
#mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/new_root

#mount
reports (inter alia):
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /mnt/new_root type ext3 (rw)

while command

#runlevel
reports:
N 5

There must be a different start point in your
procedure, and I would be greatly indebted for driving
me to your better usage. At any event, all my usb
external hd is root. When in my office,I use it as a
storage device for back up and I have to act as root
to transfer files to (I always did that from teminal,
no guy)

cheers
francesco pietra

--- Christopher Mc Carthy