Re: Knoppix 5.0.1 kernel include header files do not match running kernel ?

Hello,

I've just done a Knoppix 5.0.1 remaster containing a working VMware Player after encountering the same problems reported in this thread. The vmware-any-any101 patch to the vmware installation software recommended here does stop the error message "The Kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same address space size as your running kernel", but then leaves you with errors like the following:

from /tmp/vmware-config8/vmmon-only/./autoconf/ioapic.c:7:
include/asm/acpi.h: In function '__acpi_acquire_global_lock':
include/asm/acpi.h:67: error: 'boot_cpu_data' undeclared (first use in this function)
include/asm/acpi.h:67: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
include/asm/acpi.h:67: error: for each function it appears in.)
include/asm/acpi.h: In function '__acpi_release_global_lock':
include/asm/acpi.h:79: error: 'boot_cpu_data' undeclared (first use in this function)

Googling for this stuff yields some Red Hat folks who concluded that eliminating kernel ACPI support fixes the problem for kernel version 2.6.16 (http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=408289), so I tried that, but still got the same errors. Looking further into the 'boot_cpu_data' message, it appears that it has something to do with a kernel function cmpxchg, and others have had recent problems with that and i386 kernels.

So I changed the standard Knoppix 5.0.1 kernel configuration from i386 to i586, leaving ACPI support turned off as well, and VMware Player works (standard 2.6.17.3 kernel sources).

Regards,

Norm Petterson