Re: [debian-knoppix] Remastering the 4.0DVD

Hi Yann,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 08:06:03AM +0200, Yann Cochard wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just downloaded the latest Knoppix, i.e. 4.0 DVD??

Wow, I did not know it is already available for download yet. ;-)

Of course, the ISO of DVD will appear on the mirrors soon, but I still
need some time for making the CD "light" version, so both are available
at the same time.

> This is really nice Klaus, thanks !
> There are now many many many many softwares ;-)

Probably "too many". The DVD is already almost full again. ;-)

> Now a question : how to remaster ? Usually I extract the ISO, then the
> cloop KNOPPIX, but now there are 2 such files: KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2.
> KNOPPIX contains :
> bin/   cdrom/  dvb/  floppy/  initrd/  media/  none/  root/  sys/  usr/
> boot/  dev/    etc/  home/    lib/     mnt/    proc/  sbin/  tmp/  var/
> KNOPPIX2 contains :
> opt/  usr/

KNOPPIX2 should contain only PARTS of /usr, namely those which are not
required for the boot process and are not vitally important.

Short explanation: The ISO filesystem, which is still used for the DVD
for compatibility reasons, has a maximum file size limitation of 2 GB.
So, in order to use a compressed image of more than 2GB in size, you
have to use TWO (or more) cloop images instead (cloop can handle up to 8
simultaneous images by default), and then just join them with unionfs.
The /linuxrc inside minirt.gz does this.

> I guess that for remastering one has to put them all in a "source" dir,
> but then the problem is how to seperate them to build again the KNOPPIX
> and KNOPPIX2 ?

It depends on your setup which directories you want to put in which
image. The first image should contain at least everything needed to run
"losetup" and "mount", though.

For one image, you use [mkisofs] -m to exclude the directories that are
supposed to go into the other image, and for the next one a -m for
everything else. This is perfectly scriptable.

> So my question is: when you already know how to remaster a Knoppix CD,
> how do you remaster the DVD version? What are the differences?

You found the only difference I could think of, which is caused by the
fact that you have to split files above 2GB. If you stay below 2GB for
the compressed file, you don't need to do anything different at all.

With kind regards