[debian-knoppix] syslinux bug??? Strange options in /proc/cmdline

Hello all,

I'm running a modified Knoppix that behaves strange and leaves me wondering.
I changed the default desktop in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to be
"gnome" instead of kde. This resulted in a German version - although I
chose the boot-en bootdisk.

After a lot of fruitless hacking I looked at /proc/cmdline - I should have
done that earlier - and saw something like
################# 000 <other options>

the "######" seemed to result from the user-config at the end of the
syslinux.cfg file. Adding "append=foo###################bar" resulted in
/proc/cmdline to show "#########bar 000 <.....>" (The "000" is the end of
the ramdisksize specification).

Is this a buffer overflow in syslinux? I can't think of anything else - but
it seems rather strange as well. Removing the user configurable last entry
solves the issue - but leaves me wondering. I have not yet looked if a last
carriage return helps.

Does anyone know what's going one here??

V.
--
http://www.openoffice.nl/   Open Office - Linux Office Solutions
Valentijn Sessink  valentyn+sessink@nospam.openoffice.nl