Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix Customization and Persistency FAQ

I have not read carefully everything...
but I think knoppix.sh should be mentioned since many customisation can be
done with it.
I found this on my disk (I think I did use it in the past):
#!/bin/sh
# This is what is required to have a Belgian keyboard at the console
loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/be2-latin1.kmap.gz

>Q: Can one also install the distribution from the CD onto a hard drive?
>
>A: In principal, yes (after all, the "master" system also runs on a hard
>drive before it is burned to CD). However there is currently no
>installation GUI for this, so installation to a hard drive should probably
>only be attempted by more knowledgeable Linux users. Assuming the KNOPPIX
>system has already booted, installation approximately follows this
>procedure:
>1.) initialize a free partition with the ext2 file system and mount it on
>    /mnt/knoppix, for example.

Maybe it should be explain that it is possible to have read only KNOPPIX dir
with KNOPPIX file on a fat (vfat) partition.
This can be done from Windows without problem.
Then booting from a floppy (rawrite) that can then be customised for boot
parm
using notepad or wordpad.

On this list was also provided to me a way to boot that fat based knoppix
from win2k boot manager. However it involve a small linux partition.

>2.) cp -a /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/knoppix/
>3.) set up /mnt/knoppix/etc/fstab and /mnt/knoppix/etc/lilo.conf for the
>    new system (Caution: symlinks in /boot initially point to the Ram
>disk!), run lilo.
>4.) mkdir /mnt/knoppix/home/knoppix && \
>chown knoppix.knoppix /mnt/knoppix/home/knoppix
>5.) Reboot, try the system out, fix any broken settings.
>(No guarantees.)

Once on this mailing list someone suggested a translucid module that permit
the modification (with storage of the differences into a file) of a read
only device.
This could be used with Knoppix to apply patch (or package) stored on the CD
by using a knoppix.sh script.
The only issue is that in order to have space for those patch (on a CD) you
need to
reduce the size of the KNOPPIX file. Also the translucid module is more
likely not
given with knoppix and need to be compiled (for the same kernel version)
separately.

Some peaple try to make a French Knoppix, it involve some customisation like
openoffice
in french rather than english and german.
I did suggest to reduce (by removing some stuff like multiple language
openoffice) the cloop file
and to apply a language specific patch to it at boot time.
Then English or German or Frech "patch" could be develop and maintain
distribute separately.
The patch could be a few .deb on the CD at a specific location.

Next to producing .iso file, the smaller KNOPPIX file could be distributed
together with thing
like the official boot floppy and readme... (actually I use isobuster to get
what I need from the iso).

Also I would like to see an md5sum of various version KNOPPIX file (in extra
to the md5 of the CD).
That way it is possible to identify/verify a KNOPPIX file once the iso is on
CD, whatever the
modification that could have been done to other file.

David GLAUDE