RFS: carl9170fw/1.9.9-450-gad1c721-1 [ITP] -- firmware for AR9170 USB wireless adapters

Control: retitle -1 RFS: carl9170fw [ITP] -- firmware for AR9170 USB wireless adapters

Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "carl9170fw":

 * Package name     : carl9170fw
   Version          : 1.9.9-450-gad1c721-1
   Upstream contact : linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
 * URL              : https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170.fw
 * License          : many, but mostly GPL-2.0-or-later or GPL-2.0-only
 * Vcs              : https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/carl9170fw
   Section          : kernel

The source builds the following binary packages:

  firmware-carl9170 - firmware for AR9170 USB wireless adapters

To access further information about this package, please visit the following URL:

  https://mentors.debian.net/package/carl9170fw/

Alternatively, you can download the package with 'dget' using this command:

  dget -x https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/carl9170fw/carl9170fw_1.9.9-450-gad1c721-1.dsc

This is a package that's very dear to my heart and which has gone through a couple rounds of review already, so I hope to make it great.

carl9170 is a fully libre driver and firmware combo for particular USB wireless adapters. carl9170 is already in firmware-linux-free, but this new source package is special: it builds the firmware from source using a cross toolchain that I've also packaged. Because this is firmware that runs on the CPU inside the Wi-Fi adapter instead of on the Debian host, it's an Arch: all package despite being written in C.

Because of the situation with this package shipping a file that's already in firmware-linux-free, this initial upload will be practically unusable: the only goal is to clear NEW so that the second upload (which will have appropriate Breaks+Replaces) can be made on a predictable timeframe. (I have, however, manually tested that the built firmware works.) I wonder, should I add a temporary Conflicts: firmware-linux-free to this initial upload since they will not be co-installable? I've decided not to, but let me know if I should.

I'm not very good with Git, so this upload is not in the VCS right now. I'll sort that out once we're uploading the package to NEW.

Also, per discussion on #debian-mentors and a recent re-reading of Debian Policy, I've added Built-Using fields because carl9170 is GPL and statically links in other libraries.

P.S. If any of my seemingly-omniscient regular sponsors are concerned, I'm about to fix the FTBFS in the sibling package ath9k_htc, so do not be alarmed by that.