Re: Information About The Linux Kernel Maintenance In Debian

Dear Federico,

> can't easily find the following information:
>
> - Criteria to select a kernel version for a Debian release. It looks to me you
>   are following LTS releases, but as you know kernel LTS is a moving target in
>   terms of duration. So, how you choose?

this depends on the Debian release cycle, which the Debian release
team sets. This is announced in the debian-release mailing list.
Once the release date cycle are known, the Debian kernel
team tries to optimise to have a recent enough LTS release balanced
with conservative exposure to enough hardware.

> - How much a Debian kernel diverges from kernel.org release overtime?

The stable kernel does not in general add hardware backports.
The amount in debian depends on the vested interests. If we
get enough bug reports or someone making it easy in gitlab
to merge newer hardware support that happens too. The driver
has to be released in mainline to qualify.

> - I see you explain how to build and run any kernel from kernel.org, but I do
>   not see and discouragement in doing so. Is this because you do not see any
>   known incompatibilities ?

For security maintenance we encourage to use the Debian one.
Of course if you have in house capabilities to follow whatever
LTS release you choose there will not be trouble (unless you set HZ to
some funny value or disable features glibc assumes).

We did optimize certain architectures for size but due to the
involved time constraints this got dropped.

Hope this helps, do not hesitate to follow-up.

Thank you for your interest (:
maximilian