Re: kernel-handbook: How to rebuild official Debian Linux kernel package with debug info disabled?

On Thu, 2020-03-05 at 18:23 +0100, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
[...]
> > ..., so I'll try again with setting 'debug-info' to 'false' both in
> > 'debian/config/defines' and 'debian/config/i386/defines'.
>
> Eh, same result/problem...  ;-/
>
> I'll (later) try to figure out the right edits or commands to use, but
> would also appreciate working instructions, if anyone knows off-hand?
> Probably separate '.config' generation and alternation
> ('CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=n', is that enough?) from the actual build?

If you already started a build, changing debian/config won't affect it.
In general, you would need to run "debian/rules debian/control", clean,
and build again.

If you have done that, then I don't understand how this is going wrong.

> > Why do some of these configuration files override the generic one
> > (without giving rationale), and/or do the kernel-handbook instructions
> > need to be updated?

We used to enable debug-info only for a few configurations; then we
changed to enable it for all configurations but didn't delete the
redundant settings.  And I documented this wrongly.

I've updated the handbook (only git and the online version so far) to
correct this.  I have also deleted the redundant settings, to make this
simpler in future.

Knowledge is power.  France is bacon.