bug 864320: multiple critical problems booting

clone 864320 -1
reassign -1 initramfs-tools
retitle -1 update-initramfs silently failed to change \
initrd/conf/conf.d/cryptroot

> 4.
>
> one of my goals is to set up a new drive as a backup -- with
> accessibility fixed as much as possible -- in case there are
> problems booting to my main drive.  however, this is
> problematic.
>
> with or without this:
>
> i have had many, many, runins with update-initramfs.  i
> finally settled on something that seemed to work:
>
>     # of course i looked for error messages
>     update-initramfs -u -k all &&
>         echo update-initramfs returned normal exit code. like i believe that.
>     # fixme update-grub should, but does not, create /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>     update-grub
>     # we do either grub-install or dpkg-reconfigure
>     # dpkg-reconfigure says what future upgrades should install to
>     echo enter argument to grub-install like /dev/sdb and sacrifice a goat:
>     grub-install `line`
>
> maybe this is totally wrong.  i am an ordinary person just
> trying to get my computer to work.  i tried dpkg-reconfigure
> grub-pc also.
>
> in order to put in the brittle, hardcoded partition syntax,
> i did the above.
>
> but guess what?  update-initramfs silently failed to change
> initrd/conf/conf.d/cryptroot!
>
> in the past it silently failed to create it at all, so this
> is progress!
>
> bug fix: don't silently fail
> bug fix: don't fail to write a file
> bug fix: don't fail to update a file
> bug fix: don't make user edit his or her initrd
> bug fix: don't make user have to debug

@initramfs-tools maintainers: The above report has been lingering in a
long multibug report against the base package. It may be worth
investigating.

Paul