Re: Upstream source handling

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 12:52:13PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> shouldn't one use subtrees these days and not submodules.
> submodules only live in contrib. subtrees got merged in
> main git.

The problems solved by subtree and submodule are different.  And in the
git 2.5.1, subtree is contrib, submodule is main.

Subtrees are merged trees into the container repo.  They loose all
information about there source.  They can be manipulated further in the
tree and later synced again.  I did not look how using subtrees could
work.

Submodules are only pointers to commits.  They don't add any volume of
data to the tree.

My proposal includes the frequent use to rebase.  This mimics the
current patch handling, where the applied patches are clearly shown.  If
we want to export a patch series for the package, we need that anyway.
However, if we already maintain our own tree, using subtree does not
provide much advantage, but it completely removes the automation around
it.

Bastian

--
It would seem that evil retreats when forcibly confronted.
		-- Yarnek of Excalbia, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.5