Re: Some Linux kernel config options

On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 20:51 -0200, Ivan Baldo wrote:
>      Hello.
>      I searched for the reasons for not using some Linux build
> configuration options but couldn't find them, maybe having a
> README.Debian and explaining some choices, etc. could be a good idea, I
> don't know.
>      Here are some config options that I would like to know why are
> disabled:

Generally the answer is that they are disabled by default and no-one saw
a good reason to change that yet.

> CONFIG_PARAVIRT_SPINLOCKS

The help text suggests it should be enabled - yet that's not the
default!  Unfortunately, enabling this will change the module ABI.

[...]
> CONFIG_DRM_QXL
> CONFIG_DRM_BOCHS

I think these need new X drivers to be useful, but I'm not sure.

> CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE_I2C

This is enabled on a few architectures (i386, ia64, powerpc*).  I think
it's an accident of history.

> CONFIG_USB_UAS

The driver and/or hardware appears to be too buggy to use yet.  UAS
hardware should also work with the UMS protocol and the usb-storage
driver.

[...]
> CONFIG_NFSD_V4_SECURITY_LABEL

Help text says 'For now we recommend "Y" only for developers and
testers.'

It is easier to write an incorrect program than to understand a correct one.