cross compile kernel with deb-pkg

Hello,

Recently I tried to cross compile a kernel (package) with "make ARCH=<target> CROSS_COMPILE=<target-triplet>- deb-pkg

That worked well for 2.6.32 kernels from squeeze. But the 3.2 kernels from wheezy/backports fail with:

dpkg-gencontrol: error: current host architecture 'powerpc|armel' does not appear in package's architecture list (i386|amd64)

I tried multiple combinations:
host = amd64 or i386 and target = armel/armhf/powerpc

It turned out that that the 3.2 package didn't build with the above error, but 2.6.32 does.

I have found a former thread but without conclusion.
http://osdir.com/ml/linux-kernel/2011-01/msg00135.html

When I looked into the generated debian/rules (or control?) I noted the i386 architecture setting for the kernel-header package.

Since cross compiling (pacakges) is possible with squeeze kernels, but not with those from wheezy, I'm not sure, if this feature was intentionally dropped, because everybody should use a qemu-binfmt backed pbuilder nowadays..?

Kind regards,
Marcus