Re: A question about hard disk names with recent kernels

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 06:39:26PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Previously my hard disks were named hda, sda and sdb. Now they are named
> sda, sdb and sdc. Is this due to the UUID naming scheme used
> in /etc/fstab, /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
> and /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules.
>
> dmesg also shows this difference. Where does it originate??

The transition from old-style IDE drivers to libata-based drivers.  This
is described in the changelog, the NEWS file and in the prompts from the
transition upgrade script.

> It is somewhat confusing that the names have changed, /dev/hd? are ATA
> disks while /dev/sd? are SATA disks??

/dev/hd* are handled by old-style drivers for PATA (IDE) and older PC HD
controllers.

/dev/sd* are handled by the SCSI disk driver and some SCSI or SCSI-like
controller driver.  The SCSI-like controller drivers include USB storage
and libata-based drivers for PATA and SATA controllers.

> grub also gets confused:
> Setting up grub-pc (1.98+20100602-2) ...
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/hda'.
> Generating grub.cfg ...

This is a deficiency in GRUB, but AFAIK it is not critical.

> What about the (now commented out) fstab entry giving the usblash the
> name sdc??
> # /dev/sdc   /mnt/usbflash   vfat    defaults,noauto,user  0  0
[...]

What about it?  I'm not going to attempt to parse comments.

                                                              - Albert Camus