Re: future proofing linux-2.6 config, disabling deprecated interfaces

maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:
> for 2.6.29 following interfaces will be unset:
> - SCSI_PROC_FS
>   should only be needed by legacy apps, sysfs equiv exists
>
> - PCMCIA_IOCTL
>   pcmciautils is even already shipped in etch
>
> - ACPI_PROCFS
> - ACPI_PROCFS_POWER
> - ACPI_PROC_EVENT
>   scheduled to be removed soon
>
> they should only be needed by legacy applications
> and it is the right time in the release now to either
> have those kicked out as nobody uses them anyway or
> to have userland fixed.
[...]

Most of /proc/acpi is redundant but at least some files don't yet have
alternatives:

13:53 < bwh> # CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS is not set
13:54 < mjg59> bwh: Given that not all of the proc functionality has been
               ported elsewhere yet, I'd say that's aggressive
13:54 < bwh> What's missing?
13:56 < mjg59> bwh: Device wakeup control
13:57 < mjg59> Setting things like DOS
14:00 < bwh> DOS?
14:00 < mjg59> bwh: Display Output Switch

The world is coming to an end.	Please log off.