Re: What was the reason for enabling Xen on all i386 kernels?

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 06:33:12PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> the reason seems quite evident.
> to be able to have any debian kernel as xen guest.
> it is a frequent feature request we received.

Well I would like to request a kernel without this feature again.  It
isn't as if a 686-noxen kernel would be a big load on the x86 buildd's
and the disk space isn't particularly significant and it would save a
lot of users the trouble of having to configure and compile their own
kernels to work around this change.

> because paravirt upstream support is currently only x86_32
> once ported to amd64 it will enabled there too.
> but haven't yet landed for 2.6.26, so still..
>
> <snipp long text about random_closed_source module>
> please bug your vendor for those.
> ati is already mostly supported by the free radeon driver,
> use latest of it.
> anyway nvidia hasn't released any official driver for 2.6.25 afaik.

The 173.08 driver works fine with 2.6.25, as long as xen isn't enabled
(in which case compiling the driver fails).

Unfortunately I don't have much hope for xen support in either the ati
or nvidia drivers until some day redhat or suse decides to make it
mandetory, and I actually doubt they are going to do that.

So at the moment there are two fixes:

make nvidia/ati fix it: Not seeming very likely.
make the debian kernel team fix it: Simple and actually possible, other
	than having to potentially deal with politics and ideologies.

I suppose another option is to setup another unofficial repository and
start offering kernels for those people that want to still be able to
use their systems until someday when just maybe xen support is added to
the various nonfree drivers.

--
Len Sorensen