Custom kernel compile. Using "CONFIG_LOCALVERSION/EXTRAVERSION"

Hi,

I am compiling my own kernel from kernel.org sources (+ patches) and creating a kernel-image package using:

   > make-kpkg clean
   > fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=1.0 kernel_image kernel_headers

As I am playing around with a number of different kernel patches (bigphysarea, web100, custom tcp tweaking etc) I would like to be able to set the LOCALVERSION/EXTRAVERSION flag. However when I try and do this the kernel compiles OK and the .deb packages are created but when I try and install the packages things fail as (I guess) the installation process does not expect the extra tag on the kernel name.

How *should* I be doing this?

Regards
Chris Phillips

The LOST Ninja blog: Exclusive clues, clips and gossip.