Re: new g5 dual core macs

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 08:35:05AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 18:54 +0200, Thorsten Johannvorderbrueggen wrote:
> > hello all,
> >
> > it´ s still not working. i downloaded the daily build of etch. the
> > installation worked, but all fans are running on maximum speed. after a
> > restart, i have the same old problem.
>
> Make sure you have the windfarm_* modules, i2c-powermac and cpufreq
> loaded. I don't know if debian properly enables these features. You may
> just download a 2.6.17 kernel source tree and build it using the
> g5_defconfig that comes with it.

Sure they are built modular, need to check cpufreq to be sure, but i believe
it is also built modular.

The problem comes from the fact that :

  1) 2.6.16 apparently had some bug in that even though those modules where
  loaded, it didn't work as expected.

  2) The modules are not hotplug-friendly, and thus not auto-loaded by udev.

A solution to this is to add them to /etc/modules. initramfs-tools knows
about i2c-powermac, as well as therm_pm72, and a future version will load
the windfarm_* and cpufrequ modules also, solving the problem.

Still, the current initramfs-tools design is flawed in that it will load all
those modules on all powerpc boxes, irrelevant of if they are actually needed
or not.

So, the best solution for this would be to makes those modules hotplug
friendly.