Re: how to detect a debian kernel from `uname -r`

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 08:48:20AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> You could simply add the two distro-specific information, the full package
> name (2.6.14-2-amd64-k8) and the distro version number (2.6.14-7). I guess
> in additional often-intrusive patches, and will probably use a meaningful
> name. it will be embedded in the uname -r name too, probably as
> version-abi-subarch-flavour.

I already store the 'uname -r' as `kernel_release` and the "debian package
version" is now stored as `kernel_group`, and 'Debian' string is the
`branch`.

I simply don't yet split the info in the kernel_release into
abi/flavour, but thinking about it I can make it visible in the "local"
column (still not splitted but that's ok). The place where to put it was
more a problem in the visualization than in the storage (since I store
/proc/version so no useful info can get lost ;).  The local column is
what I use to show the git tag for example with mainline.