Re: [D-I] Supporting 2.6.14 kernels in base-installer

Sven Luther wrote:
> Ok, but who will chose which will be the default one ? The d-i team, or the
> kernel team ?

It's more important to make a choice than what the choice is.

d-i chose between lilo and grub before; we did it by listening to what
users wanted and looking at which worked best overall, and I think we'll
eventually get the same kind of information about initramfs-tools vs
yaird (the wiki page is a good start). Before we decided to default to
grub, we temporarily, and somewhat randomly, defaulted to lilo for a
long time.

This seems more in-scope for the kernel team to decide than the d-i
team, but if it would help I can flip a coin..

> And what about the cases where the choice happens to be dependent on
> the architecture used ?

As far as I can tell so far they both have the same set of supported
architectures, although initramfs-tools has been tested as failing on
more architectures. But if we really needed to, we could vary it by
architecture without most of the complications that offering a choise at
install time would entail.

(BTW, should we let the new kernel packages that require these
tools into testing, if they don't yet support most architectures?)

--
see shy jo