Re: Install New Kernel - How do I?

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 05:58:44PM -0700, lordSauron wrote:
> forgive me - I'm very new to linux.  I have a AMD Athlon64 3000+ chip,
> and I just installed Debian linux with kernel version 2.4.27-2 i386,
> so my chip is running in 32-bit emulation mode (to the best of my
> knowledge)  I'd like to install the 2.6.8-11 amd64-k8 kernel, however,
> and use it.  I tried to use aptitude to do this, and it downloaded the
> kernel image perfectly.  However, I'm still *using* the older one.
> Would anyone mind telling me precisely, in very detailed steps for a
> newbie like me, how to switch kernels?  I can try to answer any
> questions you might have about my current predicament, but I'd like to
> solve this problem.  If I'm in the wrong mailing list, please tell me
> as well - I just thought this would be an applicable list.

There are a number of different ways to switch kernels, but
fundamentally the idea is that very early in the boot process
a small programme is run that chooses the kernel that will run -
often offering the user the oppertunity to switch.

The method that I suggest for your system is to use grub,
though lilo would work equally well, and there are other options.

First make sure grub is installed, it probably is.

apt-get install grub

Next make sure grub is used to boot your system, it probably already is.
Note that the command below assumes that your system will try
and boot off the first hard drive. If this is not the case,
consult man grub-install

grub-install hd0

Last, tell grub about your kernels

update-grub

This should list all the kernels found, and the first one listed
will be the default kernel. When you reboot, it you do nothing,
that kernel will be used, else you can select alternate kernels.

You can inspect, and modify, what update-grub produces by
editing /boot/grub/menu.lst

Please be aware that although grub almost always works on modern
hardware, this can be a delicate process. If your boot does not work,
then it may be somewhat tricky for your to get your system running
again. So be careful. And if you see stuff you don't understand,
investigate it before rebooting.

--
Horms