Re: kernel-source-2.4.{24,25,26} in etch?

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:30:18PM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> (note, I'm not subscribed)
>
> Hi,
>
> kernel-source-2.4.{24,25,26} just made it into Etch -- I'm sure that was
> not really intentional, and those can rather be removed from unstable?
> If so, please do file a bug (one listing all three would do) on
> ftp.debian.org.

I believe there was partially such a bug report against some of those
packages. There still are 2.4.26 apus kernels in the archive last i checked.

> Second point -- would there be any easy way you can think of some
> non-ftpmaster involving way to prevent this from happening in the
> future? Like, making the kernel-source-2.4 and kernel-source-2.6
> package, building kernel-source-2.{4,6}.X binary package? I do think you
> only need one major kernel line version simultaneously, right?

Yes and no. but let's sort out the metapackages thingy once the common kernel
package is out. We need to unify the different kernel-latest thingies too, so
this could easily be added, but it is still not enough, since having 2.6.12 in
the archive is not a reason for immediate dropping of 2.6.11, since there is
likely to be a transition period where it is meaningfull to provide our users
with both, in order to more easily check newly introduced bugs or regressions.

> If that's not possible, for whatever reason I'm sure you're much more
> familiar with than I am, of course then it's not possible, and instead
> removal requests can best be filed every time a transition to a new
> minor kernel version is completed.

The main problem is that usually such removal requests got processed ages
after the request. This is changing now with the new more dynamic ftp-master
team, but i guess a request for removal get's easily lost in the noise or
something, not sure how you see that on your side ?