Problems with PCMCIA and WiFi

I have some problems with self-compiled kernels on Compaq Evo N410c
notebook. Debian's kernel-image (I have tried 2.6.8-2-686 and
2.6.11-1-686) package works quite well, but it lacks suspend-to-disk,
which is only option for this specific model of laptop. As I found
different sleep modes very useful, I wanted to recompile the kernel and
have this option turned on. I also wanted to switch default cpufreq
governor to "userspace". I used kernel-source-2.6.8 and
kernel-source-2.6.11 packages, and had problems with PCMCIA on built
kernel. I was not able to get PCMCIA and wireless ethernet working.

I have Tellus TWL-C11 wireless PCMCIA card.
Cardinfo says it is Farallon SkyLINE, while cardctl ident shows:
Socket 0:
product info: "INTERSIL", "HFA384x/IEEE", "Version 01.02", ""
manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002
function: 6 (network)

This card works with no problem with kernel from kernel-image package,
but when the kernel is compiled from vanilla sources (from 2.6.8 to
2.6.12-rc4) it fails to work, leaving in /var/log/syslog "kernel:
orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed". Since I know the card works with
Debian's kernels I thought I would better compile from Debian's sources.
But then I cannot get PCMCIA working, since it shows that it cannot load
module ds (when pcmcia is build as a module) or that it failed to load
pcmcia_core (when pcmcia is build into the kernel).
I suppose I made some mistake, but I really do not know, where. I would
appreciate any help.
--
Best regards,
Łukasz Studziński