Re: Common kernel-image source package

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 03:18:28PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         Does this mean that the common kernel source package would no
>  longer use make-kpkg to build the image? If not, why not co-ordinate
>  with kernel-package to get a common mechanism of creating control and
>  config files? kerel-package already has mechanisms for creating the
>  rules file, config ile, and control files, and in etch would even be
>  modular. Why reinvent the wheel?

I don't think kernel-package should be abandoned. Coordination should happen
on this list, or did it happen already and I missed it? A common config
sounds good, so far I am just guessing what to enable and what not, I like
the idea of having a common "base" config and adding arch specific parts to
it. If this is done, there should be documentation for this, and some best
practices on how to use this. I have been looking through several
kernel-image packages to pick ideas for m68k. Every arch seems to do things
a little different, I think it would be better if we could agree on a
handful of instructions, even if they are slightly different for the arches,
instead of making everybody find out things by himself. Maybe this exists
somewhere already and I am just too blind?

Anyhow, I like kernel-package a lot (and I use it differently than other
arches, just like I inherited it). However with some recent version,
something seems to have changed so that I can not cross-compile images
anymore. Maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong. My make-kpkg call
looks like this:

make-kpkg --arch m68k --cross_compile m68k-linux --append-to-version -1-$i kernel_image

With $i being the subarch, ie amiga, atari, mac, ... this used to build me
packages called kernel-image-2.6.11-1-amiga etc (I recently added the -1,
that is something needed in case of ABI changes?). However, now I get:
kernel-image-2.6.11-1-amiga-m68k
I have been unable to get rid of the final -m68k, is there an option or
environment variable I have to set? I need --arch, otherwise the m68k config
is not used, I want to  crosscompile, I also tried ARCH_IN_NAME ="NO", but I
always get -m68k. Why? I didn't see anything obvious in the changelog.

Thanks,
Christian